Friday, April 1, 2011

What is Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome?

Delayed sleep phase syndrome is a sleeping disorder in which the body's internal clock is "off." It is not the same as insomnia. With DSPS, a person can usually fall asleep at the same time each day, but much later than desirable. Living with DSPS has been described as living with "permanent jetlag."
Delayed sleep-phase syndrome (DSPS), also known as delayed sleep-phase disorder (DSPD) or delayed sleep-phase type (DSPT), is a circadian rhythm sleep disorder, a chronic disorder of the timing of sleep, peak period of alertness, the core body temperature rhythm, hormonal and other daily rhythms, compared to the normal population and relative to societal requirements. People with DSPS generally fall asleep some hours after midnight and have difficulty waking up in the morning. (Wikipedia)
I'm 34 and just heard of DSPS, whose symptoms describe exactly what I have struggled with for at least 20 years. I'm shocked that this is an actual condition and I have never heard of it before, despite many, many complaints to doctors through the years.

Many people with DSPS seem to adapt their lives to it by working late shifts, etc. However, I've decided to educate myself and try to treat this disorder instead. I will blog about my progress.

3 comments:

  1. I wish you the very best.

    You an I are in the same position except I am 10 years older than you.
    I aswell are trying to treat myself and blogging about that (swedish though).

    I hope you will find your sleep.
    Best whishes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I'm an insomniac (not quite the same thing I know) but I'm hoping to get treatment for it, and possibly blogging about that too.

    Wishing you well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in a car accident in 2003 and have had this problem ever since. For 5 years I have been trying to force myself to fall asleep between 12 and 2 am as that was my norm but just can't sleep at night. Up until last year I would have narcoleptic moments when I was awake during the day. One time I was standing at the stove stirring my food and suddenly fell asleep. I would fall asleep while eating and wake up with food all over me. Now I have progressed at least to waking and looking at the clock for a second and then waking again and looking at the clock and it is 4 to 5 hrs later. Don't even wake long enough to get up to go to the bathroom. My sleep time is getting worse though. Before I would at least fall asleep at 3-4 am and now it is 5 or 6 am and it ruins my whole day. I forced my self to wake at 11 yesterday and stay awake all day but I still was not tired until 5 am and I have tried this over and over but it never lasts. I feel physically the best at night; my thinking is clearer, my pain (from injuries)is not as bad, nor are my sinus troubles. During the day I feel terrible. I am on disability for a few things related to the accident (disc problems, 2 total knee replacements & swelling problems, extreme stress problems from dealing with all this and losing my home, job and long time relationship)but I'll never be able to get off it with this problem as it just makes the others worse. I hate being so poor. I tried Ambien but after a while it was ineffective as was melatonin. So...you're not alone. But if you want disability I suggest you get a lawyer. It took me 3 years after a bad car accident, with a lawyer, to even get a court date for Soc Sec Disability. I have always had a hard time getting up in the morning but I know this accident made it much worse. After the accident I was tied down on a wooden board in the hospital for 5 hours with a huge bump on the back of my head. No one ever checked my head they just checked my eyes to see if I had a concussion. But I know these kind of things can be more serious than portrayed. Wikipedia: There have been several documented cases of DSPS and non-24-hour sleep-wake syndrome developing after traumatic head injury[18][19].I spent years putting myself through school to get my BS going through very tough times riding my bike many miles to get there when my car broke down and going through 2 years of chemistry that was the toughest and most stressful course in existence and now I am stuck having student loans which I was able to postpone and not being able to use all this knowledge to make a living because of this problem. Please forgive me for rambling on I just feel so relieved to see that my problem is real not in my head and I want to share my experiences so others may not feel so alone. Good Luck to All Who Have This or Any Other Condition. Dr. Wayne Dyer's work has helped me so much in life; when I get down I read something of his. It may help you too.

    ReplyDelete