Sunday, April 3, 2011

When Sleeping is a Nightmare

Since around sixth grade, I started having trouble sleeping. My parents blamed it on reading too much at night, which was true, since I was a bookworm and never wanted to turn off the light. But within a few days after the start of the summer, I would snap into a different cycle: stay awake until 4 am and sleep till noon. Each year it got harder and harder to go back to a "normal" cycle. The night before my first day of high school I just stayed up the entire night.

Ever since then it's been a constant struggle. Sleeping pills, avoiding caffeine, exercising, getting up early - nothing worked to help me fall asleep on time consistently. Work and school have brought highs and lows of success and failure - depending on the time I needed to show up. Now I've been unemployed for 13 months, and have seven more weeks left of unemployment payments. Most likely I will get a job that requires me to be there by 9 am.

I first read about delayed sleep-phase disorder a few days ago. Naturally it was about 3 am when I read about it. I ordered a light off eBay the next day.

Friday (4/1): Fell asleep around 9 am. Woke up around 7 p.m. No caffeine, and took Advil PM around midnight in the hope I could wake up at a decent hour.
Saturday: Woke up at 5 am with terrible menstrual cramps. I possibly took more Advil PM instead of regular Advil. Fell back asleep at 6 am and woke up at 2 pm.
Sunday: 8:30 am and I'm still awake after being up all night.

No comments:

Post a Comment